The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) was established in 1999. Its aim is to reduce the variation in the provision and quality of treatments and care provided by the National Health Service (NHS).
NICE produce evidence-based guidelines to help to resolve uncertainty concerning the most clinical and cost-effective treatments, procedures, and devices which are available from the NHS.
A selection of information is provided for the following areas:
Early management of persistent non-specific low back pain (CG88) – issued May, 2009. http://www.nice.org.uk/CG88.
Metastatic spinal cord compression: Diagnosis and management of adults at risk of and with metastatic spinal cord compression (CG75) – issued November, 2008. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/CG75
Hip fracture: The management of hip fracture in adults (CG124) https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/CG124
Long term sickness and incapacity for work
Managing long-term sickness and incapacity for work –Public Health Guidance (PH19) – issued March, 2009. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/PH19
The care and management of osteoarthritis in adults (CG59) – Issued February, 2008. http://www.nice.org.uk/CG59.
Rheumatoid arthritis: The management of rheumatoid arthritis in adults (CG79) – issued April, 2009. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/CG79
Headaches: diagnosis and management of headaches in young people and adults (CG150) – issued September, 2012. http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG150.
Primary prevention (TA 160) – Alendronate, etidronate, risedronate, raloxifene, and strontium ranelate for the primary prevention of osteoporotic fragility fractures in postmenopausal women – issued January, 2011. http://www.nice.org.uk/TA160
Secondary prevention including strontium ranelate (TA161). Alendronate, etidronate, risedronate, raloxifene, and strontium ranelate for the primary prevention of osteoporotic fragility fractures in postmenopausal women – issued January, 2011. http://www.nice.org.uk/ta161
Clinical Management of Primary Hypertension in Adults (CG127) – issued August 2011. http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG127/NICEGuidance/pdf/English
NICE produces also guidance concerning interventional procedures. This is intended to protect patients’ safety and supports people in the NHS in the process of introducing new procedures. NICE investigates procedures that are new, but it looks also at procedures which are more established if there is uncertainty about their safety or how well they work.
- Open femoro–acetabular surgery for hip impingement syndrome (IPG403) – issued July, 2011. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG403
- Percutaneous endoscopic laser lumbar discectomy (IPG300) – issued May, 2009. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG300
- Prosthetic intervertebral disc replacement in the lumbar spine (IPG306) – issued July, 2009.https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG306
- Percutaneous intradiscal laser ablation in the lumbar spine (IPG357) – issued September, 2010. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG357
- Lateral (including extreme, extra and direct lateral) interbody fusion in the lumbar spine (IPG321) – issued November, 2009. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG321
- Non rigid stabilisation techniques for the treatment of low back pain (IPG366) – issued November, 2010. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG366
- Transaxial interbody lumbosacral fusion (IPG387) – issued March, 2011. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG387
- Interspinous distraction procedures for lumbar spinal stenosis causing neurogenic claudication (IPG365) – issued November, 2010. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG365
- Percutaneous intradiscal electrothermal therapy for low back pain (IPG319) – issued November, 2009. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG319
- Percutaneous intradiscal radiofrequency thermocoagulation for lower back pain (IPG83) – issued August, 2004. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG83
- Percutaneous disc decompression using coblation for lower back pain (IPG173) – issued May, 2006. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG173
- Insertion of an annular disc implant lumbar discectomy (IP956) – work in progress (correct at November, 2012). http://guidance.nice.org.uk/IP/956
- Peripheral nerve-field stimulation for chronic low back pain – work in progress (correct at November, 2012). http://guidance.nice.org.uk/IP/1067
Percutaneous endoscopic laser thoracic discectomy (IP61) – issued May, 2004. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG61
- Prosthetic intervertebral disc replacement in the cervical spine (IPG341) – issued May, 2010. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG341
- Selective peripheral denervation for cervical dystonia (IPG80) – issued August, 2004. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG80
- Percutaneous endoscopic laser cervical discectomy (IPG303) – issued June, 2009. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG303
High-intensity focused ultrasound for prostate cancer (IPG118) – issued May, 2005. https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG118
Balloon kyphoplasty for vertebral compression fractures (IPG166) – issued April, 2006.https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/IPG166
Percutaneous vertebroplasty (IPG12) – issued September, 2003. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ipg12