Here are some illustrative screens from our PROM app:
To use the PROM app you require a set of postcards with patient codes to give to your patients. Please contact Carol Fawkes (email@example.com) so these can be created for your practice and the postcards can be sent to you.
The link to the PROM data collection app can be found by clicking here. This will bring up options to allow your patient to:
- Download the app onto a mobile phone (if you are not sure what sort of phone you have see our advice page on mobile phones). If you are not sure how to download the app onto your phone see our explanation.
- Download the app onto an Android tablet;
- Access the app using your laptop or desktop computer.
There is a specific page for patients. This provides patients with information about the app, answers any questions they might have, and gives them contact details for help if they require it.
Using the PROM app in your practice
The system has been developed to ensure that there is minimal additional work for the osteopath/practice staff. The process works as follows:
Data is collected in three stages:
- Baseline questionnaire including some demographic data, and completion of the Bournemouth questionnaire;
- One week follow up including completion of the Bournemouth questionnaire, a patient satisfaction measure and a patient experience measure;
- Six week follow up. This final questionnaire includes the Bournemouth questionnaire, a patient satisfaction measure, a patient experience measure, the patient’s global impression of change.
Once all of the data have been submitted, it will be analysed periodically by NCOR. Further information about the process can be found in the PROM brochure.
Reports will be produced periodically which will provide summary data for individual practices/practitioners should they require this. A report involving pan-professional data will also be prepared and this report will be available on the NCOR website.
You may have further questions about the process. Some of these will be covered in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section. Alternatively, you can contact the project lead, Carol Fawkes by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or telephone (07494059509).
Frequently Asked Questions about data collection
Is my data secure?
The online system and web app have been developed by Clinvivo Ltd, a University of Warwick spin-out company specialising in data capture. The system has been extensively tested. All data are anonymised and encrypted. All data are held on a secure server with the company which has created the app.
Will my data be sold or used for commercial purposes?
The information collected will not be made available to anyone else. The National Council for Osteopathic Research (NCOR) will not sell it or use it for any commercial purposes.
Background to the development of the PROM app.
During the early months of 2014, osteopaths were asked to invite their patients to participate in either focus groups or individual interviews as we wanted to learn more about patients’ views about using Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs) when they visited an osteopath for treatment. Further information about the development process can be found here.
Why are osteopaths collecting data PROM data?
The National Council for Osteopathic Research (NCOR) is developing a system to collect PROM data directly from patients. This is being achieved using either a computer (web app) or using a mobile phone (mobile app). This is a new innovation in osteopathic care and this study has received ethical review from the ethics committee at Barts and The London Queen Mary’s School of Medicine and Dentistry.